One killed, 5 injured in grenade attack on CRPF men
Srinagar: In the third strike in the city
within a week, militants today attacked a CRPF patrol near a
police station in downtown Srinagar, killing a jawan and
injuring five others.
Unidentified militants hurled a grenade at a group of
CRPF personnel at Pather Masjid near Maharaj Gunj Police
Station around 3.15 PM, injuring six jawans, official sources
One of them identified as Constable Mohan Lal, who
suffered multiple splinter injuries, later succumbed in a
hospital, they said.
The injured were identified as Sub-Inspector P J Raman
and constables Mohammad Hashim Ali, Mani Kundan, Gopak Naikar
and P Subash, the sources said.
A manhunt has been launched for the militants involved in
the grenade attack, which sparked panic in the old city with
people running helter-skelter following the blast.
CRPF personnel were deployed in the area in strength as a
precautionary measure to maintain law and order. No militant
outfit has so far claimed responsibility for the attack.
This is the third militant strike in the city within a
week. On March 7, militants shot dead a surrendered militant
Aijaz Ahmad Dada outside his house at Bemina.
The incident was followed by the killing of Special
Police Officer (SPO) Mohammad Arif Bhat by militants near Abu
Baker Masjid in Posh Jawahar Nagar locality on March 12.
In view of intelligence reports about sneaking of
militants into the city and the killings, police and
paramilitary forces had been put on high alert.
The policemen have been checking vehicles and frisking
pedestrians at several places in the city.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore