One killed, 5 injured in grenade attack on CRPF men
Srinagar: In the third strike in the city
within a week, militants today attacked a CRPF patrol near a
police station in downtown Srinagar, killing a jawan and
injuring five others.
Unidentified militants hurled a grenade at a group of
CRPF personnel at Pather Masjid near Maharaj Gunj Police
Station around 3.15 PM, injuring six jawans, official sources
One of them identified as Constable Mohan Lal, who
suffered multiple splinter injuries, later succumbed in a
hospital, they said.
The injured were identified as Sub-Inspector P J Raman
and constables Mohammad Hashim Ali, Mani Kundan, Gopak Naikar
and P Subash, the sources said.
A manhunt has been launched for the militants involved in
the grenade attack, which sparked panic in the old city with
people running helter-skelter following the blast.
CRPF personnel were deployed in the area in strength as a
precautionary measure to maintain law and order. No militant
outfit has so far claimed responsibility for the attack.
This is the third militant strike in the city within a
week. On March 7, militants shot dead a surrendered militant
Aijaz Ahmad Dada outside his house at Bemina.
The incident was followed by the killing of Special
Police Officer (SPO) Mohammad Arif Bhat by militants near Abu
Baker Masjid in Posh Jawahar Nagar locality on March 12.
In view of intelligence reports about sneaking of
militants into the city and the killings, police and
paramilitary forces had been put on high alert.
The policemen have been checking vehicles and frisking
pedestrians at several places in the city.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered