One killed, 5 injured in grenade attack on CRPF men
Srinagar: In the third strike in the city
within a week, militants today attacked a CRPF patrol near a
police station in downtown Srinagar, killing a jawan and
injuring five others.
Unidentified militants hurled a grenade at a group of
CRPF personnel at Pather Masjid near Maharaj Gunj Police
Station around 3.15 PM, injuring six jawans, official sources
One of them identified as Constable Mohan Lal, who
suffered multiple splinter injuries, later succumbed in a
hospital, they said.
The injured were identified as Sub-Inspector P J Raman
and constables Mohammad Hashim Ali, Mani Kundan, Gopak Naikar
and P Subash, the sources said.
A manhunt has been launched for the militants involved in
the grenade attack, which sparked panic in the old city with
people running helter-skelter following the blast.
CRPF personnel were deployed in the area in strength as a
precautionary measure to maintain law and order. No militant
outfit has so far claimed responsibility for the attack.
This is the third militant strike in the city within a
week. On March 7, militants shot dead a surrendered militant
Aijaz Ahmad Dada outside his house at Bemina.
The incident was followed by the killing of Special
Police Officer (SPO) Mohammad Arif Bhat by militants near Abu
Baker Masjid in Posh Jawahar Nagar locality on March 12.
In view of intelligence reports about sneaking of
militants into the city and the killings, police and
paramilitary forces had been put on high alert.
The policemen have been checking vehicles and frisking
pedestrians at several places in the city.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- India planning to buy Russian S-400 Triumf air defence missile systems: Report
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- Hindu community not allowed to exercise its Right to Information in Pakistan, activists protest