One killed, four injured in Leh blast
Srinagar: One person was killed and four injured in Jammu and Kashmir`s Leh town when a shell went off while labourers were collecting scrap, police said on Friday.
Five labourers from Jharkhand were collecting scrap on Thursday evening from the Army`s firing range in Leh, 470 km from here, when the shell went off, police told a news agency in Srinagar.
"Arjun Singh, son of Surjeet Singh, died on the spot because of this accidental explosion while four people working with the deceased were injured.”
"The injured were shifted to a hospital," police said.
Earlier this month, a girl was killed and her brother was critically injured when an explosive device, they were fiddling with, went off. They had brought it home from the forests in Drang village of Budgam district.
The boy was incapacitated for life as doctors trying to save his life had to amputate both his legs.
Locals in Drang village and adjacent areas have been demanding the removal of the Army from the Tosamaidan forests, which it has been using as a firing range.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal