One killed, four injured in Leh blast
Srinagar: One person was killed and four injured in Jammu and Kashmir`s Leh town when a shell went off while labourers were collecting scrap, police said on Friday.
Five labourers from Jharkhand were collecting scrap on Thursday evening from the Army`s firing range in Leh, 470 km from here, when the shell went off, police told a news agency in Srinagar.
"Arjun Singh, son of Surjeet Singh, died on the spot because of this accidental explosion while four people working with the deceased were injured.”
"The injured were shifted to a hospital," police said.
Earlier this month, a girl was killed and her brother was critically injured when an explosive device, they were fiddling with, went off. They had brought it home from the forests in Drang village of Budgam district.
The boy was incapacitated for life as doctors trying to save his life had to amputate both his legs.
Locals in Drang village and adjacent areas have been demanding the removal of the Army from the Tosamaidan forests, which it has been using as a firing range.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi