One killed, four injured in Leh blast
Srinagar: One person was killed and four injured in Jammu and Kashmir`s Leh town when a shell went off while labourers were collecting scrap, police said on Friday.
Five labourers from Jharkhand were collecting scrap on Thursday evening from the Army`s firing range in Leh, 470 km from here, when the shell went off, police told a news agency in Srinagar.
"Arjun Singh, son of Surjeet Singh, died on the spot because of this accidental explosion while four people working with the deceased were injured.”
"The injured were shifted to a hospital," police said.
Earlier this month, a girl was killed and her brother was critically injured when an explosive device, they were fiddling with, went off. They had brought it home from the forests in Drang village of Budgam district.
The boy was incapacitated for life as doctors trying to save his life had to amputate both his legs.
Locals in Drang village and adjacent areas have been demanding the removal of the Army from the Tosamaidan forests, which it has been using as a firing range.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH