One-man Commission of Inquiry to probe Kishtwar riots
Srinagar: The Jammu and Kashmir government has appointed a one-man Commission of Inquiry by Justice (retired) RC Gandhi to probe the Kishtwar communal clashes on August 9 in which three persons died and dozens others were injured.
"In exercise of the powers conferred by section 3 of the Jammu & Kashmir Commission of Inquiry Act, 1962, the Government hereby appoints a Commission of Inquiry comprising Justice RC Gandhi, retired Judge, J&K High Court," a government order issued late last night said.
The terms of reference for the Commission include enquiring into the circumstances which led to the violence and arson and the consequent loss of life and property in District Kishtwar.
"(The commission shall) enquire into the administrative lapses, if any, while handling the situation; and fix the responsibility of the persons, involved in acts of violence, arson and the loss of life and property," the order said.
The Commission shall perform all the functions necessary for holding of the inquiry or incidental thereto and submit its report to the Government within a period of one month from the date of issue of this notification, the government order added.
The government also issued a separate order disbanding the one-man Commission of Inquiry which was headed by Divisional Commissioner Jammu Shantmanu.
Communal clashes broke out in Kishtwar town in Jammu region on August 9, on the day of Eid, leaving three persons dead and dozens others injured. Property worth crores was set ablaze by the rival communities, forcing the government to impose curfew and seek assistance of the army in controlling the situation.
The curfew was lifted after 12 days following visit by an all-party delegation and senior ministers of the state government that led to reconciliation between the two communities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Mahresult.nic.in 12th HSC Results 2016 Maharashtra Board: Hscresult.mkcl.org MSBSHSE HSC Class 12th XII (+2) Results 2016 to be declared today on May 25 at 1 PM
- Biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in BSEB 12th Inter Arts Results 2016: Bihar Board Class 12 XII Intermediate Arts Results 2016 to be announced today on 25th May, 2016 at 3 PM
- Mbose.in HSSLC 12th Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (megresults.nic.in) class 12th HSSLC Arts exam results 2016, MBOSE to be declared today on May 25 at 10 AM
- Uttarakhand board Class 10th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM
- Goa GBSHSE SSC Class 10th Results 2016 to be declared today May 25, 2016 at 3 PM