Srinagar: One more person injured in firing by security forces in Kashmir Valley succumbed to his injuries Monday, when restrictions and curfew continued in several towns, including this summer capital that again saw deserted streets and most businesses and educational establishments shut.
The death toll in the unrest that began here June 11 has risen to 63 with the passing away of Bilal Ahmad Sheikh, 22. He had been shot in Singhpora village near Pattan town of Baramulla district Aug 14 during clashes between stone pelting mobs and the security forces.
He was under treatment at the Sher-e-Kashmir Institute of Medical Sciences Soura (SKIMS) in Srinagar to which he had been admitted immediately after suffering the bullet wound.
"He succumbed to injuries in the hospital today (Monday) morning," a police officer said here.
"Curfew shall continue in nine police station areas of Srinagar city as a precautionary measure. It shall also remain in place in Sopore, Bijbehara and Pulwama towns," police here said.
Besides curfew, authorities are continuing restrictions in north Kashmir`s Trehgam, south Kashmir`s Anantnag and some other towns in the Valley.
Shops, educational institutions, public transport, banks, post offices and other business remained shut in most parts of summer capital Srinagar both because of curfew and the shutdown called by separatists.
Some marginal private transport, however, plied on the uptown roads in Srinagar.
The hardline faction of the Hurriyat Conference headed by Syed Ali Geelani has called for a protest shutdown Monday as part of the group`s Quit Kashmir campaign.