One wrong move by uniformed men can put J&K back on boil: NC
Srinagar: Condemning the recent firing incident at Pulwama that left seven civilians injured, ruling National Conference on Monday said one wrong move by the men in uniform can put Jammu and Kashmir back on the boil.
NC spokesman Tanvir Sadiq, in a statement here, said the Army should learn from its past mistakes like Pathribal and Macchil fake encounters and prevent similar incidents from happening.
"An institution that has brought laurels to the county should learn from their past mistakes. Your one wrong move can bring the state back to boil ...In the garb of AFSPA, you cannot simply go on doing what you want," he said.
Strongly condemning the firing incident at Pulwama on Friday, Sadiq said such incidents are unacceptable and will only alienate people further.
"There should be an impartial probe in the Pulwama incident and we demand harshest punishment to anyone responsible," he said.
"Uniformed men should show a lot of resilience and patience, there should be a difference between a civilian and a man in the uniform," he added.
Seven persons were injured when security forces opened fired on Friday at Pulwama Chowk, 32 km from here, to make way for vehicles carrying the four persons, including two army officers, who were injured in a gun-battle with two LeT ultras in a nearby village.
He appealed to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi and Defence Minister A K Antony to take strong notice of such incidents saying "we will not tolerate, nor will any civil society accept, any such excesses anymore."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Donald Trump takes another step back from hard-line stance on illegal immigration
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital