`Only one Panch submitted resignation so far in J&K`
Srinagar: Only one Panchayat member has so far submitted his resignation to the authorities in north Kashmir`s Baramulla district following attacks on a Sarpanch and Panch in Sopore area last week, an official said.
"So far we have received only one resignation from a Panch from Zainageer block in Sopore area," Deputy Commissioner Baramulla Khwaja Ghulam Ahmad told a news agency.
Sarpanch Habibullah Mir was shot dead while Panch Zoona Begum was critically injured in two militant attacks on Friday and Saturday respectively in Sopore area, 52 km from here.
The attacks led to dozens of Panchayat members from Sopore and surrounding areas announcing their resignation through press conferences and paid advertisements in local dailies.
A group of Panchayat members from Sopore visited media offices here to seek "forgiveness" from "our own people".
Over 1,200 Panchayat members claimed to have resigned from their posts last year following killing of a Sarpanch and a deputy Sarpanch in Pattan area of the district in September last year.
However, only 500 Panchayat members from across Kashmir abstained from voting during the election for the four state Legislative Council seats held in December last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000km strategic road
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000 km strategic road - Part II
- Donald Trump denies 'flip flopping' on immigration
- Govt plans to launch PM research fellowships for IIT graduates from next academic year
- Guwahati to host 2016 Indian Super League season opener
- An Alaskan village votes to relocate because of global warming
- US Judge blocks federal action on transgender students' bathroom access