Oppn MLAs stage walkout from J&K House over canal desiltation
Jammu: Opposition BJP, JKNPP and JSM MLAs today staged a walkout from the Jammu and Kashmir Assembly in protest against the government`s alleged failure to undertake Ranbir Canal`s desiltation and restoration of water supply to farmers in Jammu.
As the House assembled today, members of BJP, Jammu & Kashmir National Panthers Party (JKNPP) and Jammu State Morcha (JSM) stood up and started sloganeering seeking immediate restoration of water supply in Ranbir Canal.
JSM MLA Ashwani Kumar, Yashpal Kundal of JKNPP and BJP members trooped into Well of the House demanding reply from the government over the issue.
They alleged that Ranbir Canal, a lifeline for irrigation in the Jammu region, was closed on January 25 for desiltation. But the government has failed to undertake desilting leading to suspension of water supply for irrigation.
Replying to the matter, PHE, Irrigation and Flood Control Minister Sham Lal Sharma said desiltation work was awaiting funds from the Planning Department, and as soon as "funds pour in the operation will be started and water supply restored".
Planning Minister Ajay Sadhotra said funds would be released soon for the work.
Unsatisfied with the reply, the opposition members demanded urgent undertaking of desilting in a time bound manner, and walked out from the House.
Meanwhile, JKNPP member Balwant Singh Mankotia staged a walkout from the Assembly in protest against "the central government`s failure to grant a medical college for the Udhampur belt".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report