Oppn stages walkout, ruckus in J&K Assembly
Jammu: Opposition parties Monday hit out at Jammu and Kashmir government in the state Assembly for its failure to empower Panchayats under a central amendment and discriminating Jammu region in providing model villages and staged a walkout.
During the Question Hour, Bhartiya Janata Party (BJP) members Jugal Kishore Sharma and Ashok Khajuria raised the issue of security and empowerment of Panchayats by incorporating 73rd amendment of the Indian Constitution in the state and questioned the state government`s failure in implementing it.
Unconvinced by the reply of Minister for Rural Development and Panchayati Raj, Ali Mohammad Sagar, the BJP members staged a walkout from the House.
"We have raised the issue of incorporation of 73rd amendment of Panchayat Raj Act in the state in order to empower the panchayats in decision making and financial matters-- but the government has failed to empower them till now", Jugal told reporters outside Assembly.
While Panchayats in other parts of the country have financial and decision making powers, those in J&K Panchayat are deprived of such facilities, Jugal said.
"The government has ignored our demand for reply on the issue of empowerment of panchayats as they are not keen to empower this institution", he said adding "they have not also been provided security as they become targets of the militants".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state