Oppn stages walkout, ruckus in J&K Assembly
Jammu: Opposition parties Monday hit out at Jammu and Kashmir government in the state Assembly for its failure to empower Panchayats under a central amendment and discriminating Jammu region in providing model villages and staged a walkout.
During the Question Hour, Bhartiya Janata Party (BJP) members Jugal Kishore Sharma and Ashok Khajuria raised the issue of security and empowerment of Panchayats by incorporating 73rd amendment of the Indian Constitution in the state and questioned the state government`s failure in implementing it.
Unconvinced by the reply of Minister for Rural Development and Panchayati Raj, Ali Mohammad Sagar, the BJP members staged a walkout from the House.
"We have raised the issue of incorporation of 73rd amendment of Panchayat Raj Act in the state in order to empower the panchayats in decision making and financial matters-- but the government has failed to empower them till now", Jugal told reporters outside Assembly.
While Panchayats in other parts of the country have financial and decision making powers, those in J&K Panchayat are deprived of such facilities, Jugal said.
"The government has ignored our demand for reply on the issue of empowerment of panchayats as they are not keen to empower this institution", he said adding "they have not also been provided security as they become targets of the militants".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH