Oppn to autonomy for J&K challenges Art 370: NC
Srinagar: The ruling National Conference on Friday hit back at Congress MP Lal Singh saying anyone who opposes restoration of autonomy to Jammu and Kashmir is challenging Article 370 of the Constitution.
"People talking against autonomy are challenging Article 370", Lok Sabha member Sharief-ud-Din Shariq said at a party workers meet here.
He said restoration of autonomy to Jammu and Kashmir is considered as the only realistic solution to address the aspiration of the people of the state.
Shariq’s statement comes a day after Congress MP from Jammu region Lal Singh opposed autonomy or self-rule as a solution to the Kashmir problem.
"There should be no autonomy or self-rule for the state as demanded by some sections", Singh had said in Lok Sabha yesterday.
Shariq, who represents north Kashmir in Lok Sabha, said even the Centre is aware that restoration of autonomy is the only way to resolve the issue.
"The autonomy report had been acknowledged by the former president of Pakistan Gen Parvaiz Musharaf and other Pakistani leaders during the visit of Chief Minister Omar Abdullah to Pakistan. While the autonomy report has been endorsed worldwide, there is no reason for New Delhi to delay its restoration", he said.
Shariq asserted conspiracies are being hatched to weaken the National Conference at the grass root level.
"The enemies of our party are aware about the fact that the National Conference is the only party that protects the political rights of the people. The people must remain cautious and at the same time ensure that the party is strengthened at the grass root level", he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Huge controversy breaks out as Mangaluru college bans hijab, beard; protests on
- The journey has just begun! Sachin Tendulkar lauds Rio winners, predicts greater acheivements
- Turkish warplanes, artillery hit targets in north Syria: Sources
- Luxury car makers Mercedes, Audi, JLR rush to bring in petrol variants
- Special education programme for disabled in Delhi govt schools