Oppn to autonomy for J&K challenges Art 370: NC
Srinagar: The ruling National Conference on Friday hit back at Congress MP Lal Singh saying anyone who opposes restoration of autonomy to Jammu and Kashmir is challenging Article 370 of the Constitution.
"People talking against autonomy are challenging Article 370", Lok Sabha member Sharief-ud-Din Shariq said at a party workers meet here.
He said restoration of autonomy to Jammu and Kashmir is considered as the only realistic solution to address the aspiration of the people of the state.
Shariq’s statement comes a day after Congress MP from Jammu region Lal Singh opposed autonomy or self-rule as a solution to the Kashmir problem.
"There should be no autonomy or self-rule for the state as demanded by some sections", Singh had said in Lok Sabha yesterday.
Shariq, who represents north Kashmir in Lok Sabha, said even the Centre is aware that restoration of autonomy is the only way to resolve the issue.
"The autonomy report had been acknowledged by the former president of Pakistan Gen Parvaiz Musharaf and other Pakistani leaders during the visit of Chief Minister Omar Abdullah to Pakistan. While the autonomy report has been endorsed worldwide, there is no reason for New Delhi to delay its restoration", he said.
Shariq asserted conspiracies are being hatched to weaken the National Conference at the grass root level.
"The enemies of our party are aware about the fact that the National Conference is the only party that protects the political rights of the people. The people must remain cautious and at the same time ensure that the party is strengthened at the grass root level", he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February