Opposition members stage walkout in J&K over allocation of funds
Jammu: Opposition parties on Thursday created uproar on the issue of discrimination against and diversion of funds away from remote and inaccessible areas of the state before staging a walkout from the Assembly.
Raising the issue of diversion of funds meant for "bad pocket areas" of the state during question hour, Harshdev Singh of the Jammu and Kashmir National Panthers Party (JKNPP) slammed the government for the alleged discrimination.
Accompanied by two other JKNPP members, Singh walked into the well of the House and started shouting slogans calling for fair treatment for the bad pocket areas.
The JKNPP MLAs were soon joined by their House colleagues from People`s Democratic Party and BJP along with Congress and National Conference members who also raised the issue of funds, allocations and the details of assistance to those constituencies which had the most number of bad pocket areas.
Congress member GM Saroori demanded that the allocations for bad pocket areas be raised from Rs 50 crore to Rs 100 crore.
Responding to the opposition`s charges, Minister for Planning Ajay Sadhotra said that he would not be able to answer the various questions raised in the House as he had recently taken command of the portfolio.
Not satisfied with his reply, JKNPP, BJP, Jammu State Morcha and one PDP member staged a walkout.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi