Opposition members stage walkout in J&K over allocation of funds
Jammu: Opposition parties on Thursday created uproar on the issue of discrimination against and diversion of funds away from remote and inaccessible areas of the state before staging a walkout from the Assembly.
Raising the issue of diversion of funds meant for "bad pocket areas" of the state during question hour, Harshdev Singh of the Jammu and Kashmir National Panthers Party (JKNPP) slammed the government for the alleged discrimination.
Accompanied by two other JKNPP members, Singh walked into the well of the House and started shouting slogans calling for fair treatment for the bad pocket areas.
The JKNPP MLAs were soon joined by their House colleagues from People`s Democratic Party and BJP along with Congress and National Conference members who also raised the issue of funds, allocations and the details of assistance to those constituencies which had the most number of bad pocket areas.
Congress member GM Saroori demanded that the allocations for bad pocket areas be raised from Rs 50 crore to Rs 100 crore.
Responding to the opposition`s charges, Minister for Planning Ajay Sadhotra said that he would not be able to answer the various questions raised in the House as he had recently taken command of the portfolio.
Not satisfied with his reply, JKNPP, BJP, Jammu State Morcha and one PDP member staged a walkout.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Forest fires rage in Uttarakhand; three NDRF teams deployed
- Raids at Andhra Pradesh transport official's premises reveal assets worth Rs 800 crores
- VIDEO: Have you ever seen this side of Rohit Sharma's personality? We bet not!
- Unbelievable offer! Samsung selling smartphones for Rs 1
- Anushka Sharma's 'Sultan' teaser to be out on her birthday?