Opposition stages walkout from J&K Assembly
Jammu: The Opposition on Saturday staged a walkout from the Jammu and Kashmir Assembly on several issues, including engagement of refugees and daily wagers.
Accusing the government of engaging casual and daily wagers in different departments from 2009 to January 2013 through "back door", CPI(M) member M Y Tarigami demanded a statement from the government in the Assembly.
Tarigami was supported by rebel members of the BJP, who also raised a hue and cry over the issue, forcing the state Finance Minister Abdul Rahim Rather to make a statement in the House.
Informing the House on behalf of the Chief Minister, Rather said that 7,893 persons have been engaged as casual and daily wagers on need and consolidated basis in different departments from 2009 to January 2013.
Replying to another question by Er Sheikh Abdul Rashid, the Minister said that these engagements were made by competent authorities as per their requirement.
Unsatisfied with the reply, Tarigami, Independent MLA Rasheed Ahmed and others staged a walkout from the House.
Later on Tarigami raised the issue of the failure of granting honorarium to Anganwari workers and helpers for the past several years in the state and sought the government`s reply.
Minister for Social Welfare Sakina Itoo said that the state government is trying to ensure timely release of the honorarium, and added that the government has always pursued the matter with the Centre for timely release of funds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar: Who is a better cricketer? Read what Virender Sehwag has to say