Osama`s burial at sea offended Muslims: Geelani
Srinagar: Hardline separatist leader Syed Ali Geelani, who Friday led the funeral prayers for Osama bin Laden, said Muslim sensibilities throughout the world have been hurt by the US decision to bury the slain al Qaeda leader at sea.
Geelani led the `Gaibana Nimaz-e-Jinaza` or `funeral prayer in absence` in the Batmaloo area of summer capital Srinagar while Shabir Ahmad Shah, another senior separatist leader and chairman of the Democratic Freedom Party, led the prayers in Sarai Bala area.
Both places are close to the civil secretariat here from where the state government functions during the summer months.
Immediately after Geelani addressed the gathering post-Friday prayers at Batmaloo, protesters shouting anti-US slogans started pelting stones at the deployed police.
"Muslim sensibilities have been hurt throughout the world by the American decision to bury Osama at sea. It is in deference to the anger and hurt expressed by Muslim scholars throughout the world over Osama`s sea burial that we offered his funeral prayers in absence today," Geelani said.
He also said that Pakistan, which is the only Muslim country possessing the nuclear bomb, is today surrounded by dangerous forces.
"We all pray for the safety, prosperity and peace in Pakistan," Geelani told the gathering after Friday prayers.
Police exercised restrain while dealing with the angry protesters, using mild baton charge to disperse them.
Geelani has been the only separatist leader in the valley to come out strongly against the US for Osama`s killing.
"He died a martyr who fought the US oppression in Afghanistan, Iraq and Libya," Geelani said immediately after the news report of Osama`s killing in a US operation in Abbottabad, Pakistan.
Despite official apprehension, Kashmir remained peaceful in the wake of Osama`s killing. The Kashmiris mostly preferred not to discuss the issue in public.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH