‘Over 200 temples in J&K have suffered damage’
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir government on thursday said over 200 temples in the Valley have suffered damage over the years but there were no encroachments on any of the temple lands.
In a written reply to MLA Chaman Lal Gupta`s question in the state Assembly, the government said 208 of the 438 temples in the Valley had been damaged over the years.
The government said the highest number of 57 temples have been damaged in Srinagar, the summer capital of the state, followed by south Kashmir`s Anantnag district where 56 temples have suffered damage.
However, the government, in its reply, did not elaborate as to how the temples were damaged.
The rest of the eight districts in the Valley account for the other damaged temples with Bandipora having only one such instance.
The government said while a total of 63 hectares of land were under the 436 temples in the Valley, there was no case of encroachment on these lands so far.
Various Kashmiri Pandit organisations have been demanding passing of the bill for protection of Hindu Temples and Shrines in Kashmir.
Giving details of the damage to the private properties of migrants in the Valley, the government said nearly 75 per cent of the 1,234 structures in Srinagar district have been gutted while in south Kashmir Kulgam district nearly 85 per cent of the 754 structures have been damaged.
"In Srinagar district most of the migrants have sold their property.
However, the unsold properties have been protected in light of provisions of the J&K Migrant Immovable Property Preservation, Protection and Restrain on Distress Sale Act 1997," the government said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands