‘Over 200 temples in J&K have suffered damage’
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir government on thursday said over 200 temples in the Valley have suffered damage over the years but there were no encroachments on any of the temple lands.
In a written reply to MLA Chaman Lal Gupta`s question in the state Assembly, the government said 208 of the 438 temples in the Valley had been damaged over the years.
The government said the highest number of 57 temples have been damaged in Srinagar, the summer capital of the state, followed by south Kashmir`s Anantnag district where 56 temples have suffered damage.
However, the government, in its reply, did not elaborate as to how the temples were damaged.
The rest of the eight districts in the Valley account for the other damaged temples with Bandipora having only one such instance.
The government said while a total of 63 hectares of land were under the 436 temples in the Valley, there was no case of encroachment on these lands so far.
Various Kashmiri Pandit organisations have been demanding passing of the bill for protection of Hindu Temples and Shrines in Kashmir.
Giving details of the damage to the private properties of migrants in the Valley, the government said nearly 75 per cent of the 1,234 structures in Srinagar district have been gutted while in south Kashmir Kulgam district nearly 85 per cent of the 754 structures have been damaged.
"In Srinagar district most of the migrants have sold their property.
However, the unsold properties have been protected in light of provisions of the J&K Migrant Immovable Property Preservation, Protection and Restrain on Distress Sale Act 1997," the government said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!