Over 25,000 SPO`s working in state: J&K Govt
Jammu: Jammu and Kashmir Government on Tuesday said that over 25,000 Special Police Officers (SPO`s) were working in the state while nearly 1,900 of them have been regularised as constables/followers.
In a written reply to a question from Congress legislator Bashir Ahmad Magray in the Legislative Council here, Chief Minister Omar Abdullah stated that 25,474 SPO`s are presently working in different units of the Jammu and Kashmir Police (JKP).
He added that so far 1,852 SPO`s have been regularised as constables/followers.
Omar, meanwhile, said that the state government has formulated a comprehensive policy in 2009 for absorption of SPO`s as constables/followers.
He said that the SPO`s in the age group of 28-37, who have completed three years continuous engagement, are eligible to apply for appointment to the post of constables/followers.
The chief minister, however, mentioned that recruitment through this source should not exceed 15 per cent of the available vacancies.
On the question of salary paid to these officers and whether the government was contemplating to enhance their wages, Omar said that a proposal for enhancement of the honorarium of SPO`s from the existing Rs 3,000 per month to Rs 5,000 per month has been submitted to the Union Ministry of Home Affairs for consideration.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Live: Jayalalithaa passes away in Chennai after suffering cardiac arrest; PM Modi pays tribute to Tamil Nadu CM
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what