Over 25,000 SPO`s working in state: J&K Govt
Jammu: Jammu and Kashmir Government on Tuesday said that over 25,000 Special Police Officers (SPO`s) were working in the state while nearly 1,900 of them have been regularised as constables/followers.
In a written reply to a question from Congress legislator Bashir Ahmad Magray in the Legislative Council here, Chief Minister Omar Abdullah stated that 25,474 SPO`s are presently working in different units of the Jammu and Kashmir Police (JKP).
He added that so far 1,852 SPO`s have been regularised as constables/followers.
Omar, meanwhile, said that the state government has formulated a comprehensive policy in 2009 for absorption of SPO`s as constables/followers.
He said that the SPO`s in the age group of 28-37, who have completed three years continuous engagement, are eligible to apply for appointment to the post of constables/followers.
The chief minister, however, mentioned that recruitment through this source should not exceed 15 per cent of the available vacancies.
On the question of salary paid to these officers and whether the government was contemplating to enhance their wages, Omar said that a proposal for enhancement of the honorarium of SPO`s from the existing Rs 3,000 per month to Rs 5,000 per month has been submitted to the Union Ministry of Home Affairs for consideration.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?