Over 25,000 SPO`s working in state: J&K Govt
Jammu: Jammu and Kashmir Government on Tuesday said that over 25,000 Special Police Officers (SPO`s) were working in the state while nearly 1,900 of them have been regularised as constables/followers.
In a written reply to a question from Congress legislator Bashir Ahmad Magray in the Legislative Council here, Chief Minister Omar Abdullah stated that 25,474 SPO`s are presently working in different units of the Jammu and Kashmir Police (JKP).
He added that so far 1,852 SPO`s have been regularised as constables/followers.
Omar, meanwhile, said that the state government has formulated a comprehensive policy in 2009 for absorption of SPO`s as constables/followers.
He said that the SPO`s in the age group of 28-37, who have completed three years continuous engagement, are eligible to apply for appointment to the post of constables/followers.
The chief minister, however, mentioned that recruitment through this source should not exceed 15 per cent of the available vacancies.
On the question of salary paid to these officers and whether the government was contemplating to enhance their wages, Omar said that a proposal for enhancement of the honorarium of SPO`s from the existing Rs 3,000 per month to Rs 5,000 per month has been submitted to the Union Ministry of Home Affairs for consideration.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video