Over 300 killed in cloudburst, flash floods in J&K: Bhalla
Srinagar: Over 300 people were killed and
property worth crores was damaged in the recent flash floods and cloudbursts in Jammu and Kashmir, Revenue and Relief Minister Raman Bhalla said Tuesday.
Leh, which was devastated by a massive cloudburst
followed by flash flood, witnessed the highest number of
As many as 234 people died in Leh and 424 were seriously
injured, Bhalla said in a written reply in the Legislative
Rajouri district in Jammu division witnessed 20 deaths
followed by Reasi (11), Anantnag (10), Kathua and Poonch
(seven each), Doda and Baramulla (five each), Jammu, Udhampur
and Kargil (two each) and Budgam and Shopian (one each), he
Baramulla, suffered a loss of Rs 61 crore in agricultural
sector and Rs 58.22 crore in the horticulture sector, the
highest economic loss in the state, the minister said.
Shopian suffered a loss of Rs 10.35 crore in the
horticulture sector. Both Baramulla and Shopian are apple
producing regions and a large section of population in these
two districts is dependent on the horticulture sector.
In the border district of Kupwara, damage caused due to
floods is estimated by the government to be around Rs 75.40
crore. However, "an amount of Rs 35 crore out of the state
Disaster Response Fund has been released in favour of the
divisional and district administrations," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Jaya and Amitabh Bachchan living separately: Amar Singh makes shocking revelations