Over 300 youths arrested in J&K protest over Afzal Guru
Srinagar: Over 300 youths were arrested during the widespread protests across Kashmir following the hanging of Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru last month, but later many of them were released on bail, police said on Monday.
"Police has arrested 338 in last one month in the valley, out of whom 242 have been released on bail," a police spokesperson said.
He said that 96 people are still in police or judicial custody.
Around 158 people were arrested in north Kashmir districts of Baramulla, Sopore, Kupwara, Handwara and Bandipora. Among them, 130 were released and only 28 are still in custody, the spokesperson added.
He said districts of Srinagar, Ganderbal and Budgam from central Kashmir, 107 people were arrested. While 47 are still in custody, the rest of them were released.
Similarly, 73 people were detained in the South Kashmir Districts of Pulwama, Kulgam, Shopian and Anantnag. While 52 have been bailed out, 21 persons are still in custody, the spokesman said.
Four persons were killed and scores of others including over 300 police and CRPF personnel were injured in clashes between stone-pelting protestors and law enforcing agencies after the hanging of Guru on February 9.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!