Over 300 youths arrested in J&K protest over Afzal Guru
Srinagar: Over 300 youths were arrested during the widespread protests across Kashmir following the hanging of Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru last month, but later many of them were released on bail, police said on Monday.
"Police has arrested 338 in last one month in the valley, out of whom 242 have been released on bail," a police spokesperson said.
He said that 96 people are still in police or judicial custody.
Around 158 people were arrested in north Kashmir districts of Baramulla, Sopore, Kupwara, Handwara and Bandipora. Among them, 130 were released and only 28 are still in custody, the spokesperson added.
He said districts of Srinagar, Ganderbal and Budgam from central Kashmir, 107 people were arrested. While 47 are still in custody, the rest of them were released.
Similarly, 73 people were detained in the South Kashmir Districts of Pulwama, Kulgam, Shopian and Anantnag. While 52 have been bailed out, 21 persons are still in custody, the spokesman said.
Four persons were killed and scores of others including over 300 police and CRPF personnel were injured in clashes between stone-pelting protestors and law enforcing agencies after the hanging of Guru on February 9.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH