Over 3,100 vehicles stranded on J&K highway
Jammu: With over 3,100 vehicles, mostly trucks and tankers, stranded on the 300-km-long Jammu-Srinagar National Highway due to snowfall and landslides, state authorities are trying to clear them before allowing fresh traffic on the arterial road.
"No fresh traffic would be allowed between Kashmir and
Jammu areas today as authorities are clearing the large number
of stranded vehicles between the two places," police said.
Over 3,100 vehicles, mostly trucks and tankers, are
stranded at various places of the highway including Banihal,
Ramban, Patnitop, Udhampur and Nagrota areas of Jammu district
for last one week following closure of the highway due to
snowfall and landslides.
"Our aim is to clear all the stranded passengers. Only
then traffic would be resumed," they said.
"Over 400 vehicles have crossed to Jawahar tunnel towards
the Kashmir Valley till this morning," Ramban Superintendent
of Police Anil Magotra said.
"The movement of traffic on the highway is very slow in
view of the slippery road,: he said.
After reopening of the highway yesterday, over 350 trucks
and oil tankers carrying essential commodities crossed into
Kashmir Valley late last night, he said.
Snowfall had stopped yesterday at Jawahir Tunnel, Banihal,
Shatani Nallah, Ramso, Batote and Patnitop areas, and the work
to clear the highway was speeded up, Magotra said.
The highway, the only surface link to Kashmir, was closed
first on January 13 due to landslides but reopened for one
way-traffic on January 14 for a brief period. It was again
closed due to heavy snowfall, avalanches and landslides on
January 15 and reopened for one-way traffic briefly on January
18. This January, it has remained closed for almost 11 days.
Long queues of vehicles, mostly trucks, can still be seen
on the highway on the outskirts of Jammu city, with passengers
urging the government to clear the road for traffic.
Chief Engineer, Beacon, Brigadier T S Rawat briefed the
Minister for Revenue, Raman Bhalla, at Jawahir Tunnel about
the steps taken to make the tunnel functional.
The traffic on inter-district highway of Jammu-Rajouri
-Poonch has been restored, while Doda-Kishtwar has been closed
in view of the snowfall at various places besides most of the
inter-district roads in Reasi, Doda, Kishtwar and Ramban.
The inter-state Bhaderwah-Chamba (Himachal Pradesh) road
has also been closed following heavy snowfall at Sartangal
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!