Over 40% of Amarnath Shivling melts days before yatra
Zee Media Bureau
Jammu: The holy Shivling at the Amarnath cave has shrunk to almost half its actual size barely two weeks ahead of the commencement of the annual Hindu pilgrimage.
Reports claim that over 40% of the ice stalagmite has melted even before the yatra that begins June 28, raising questions over how the thousands of pilgrims who trek the treacherous mountainous ravines to reach the holy cave will be able to chance upon a ‘darshan’ of the same.
The presence of a large number of pilgrims inside the cave is sure to further raise the temperature inside the premises thereby further damaging the stalagmite figure.
The premature melting of the ‘Shivlingam’ is rumoured to be the effect of either global warming or due to the heavy presence of pilgrims and security personnel inside the Amarnath cave.
Earlier, Jammu and Kashmir Governor NN Vohra formed a two-member team to review the status of arrangements for the yatra and the duo could meet stakeholders to discuss ways to handle the issue.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- Aamir Khan's remarks on intolerance stir controversy; BJP slams, film fraternity split
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'