Over 400 stranded inside Jawahar Tunnel evacuated
Srinagar: Over 400 people stranded inside the Jawahar Tunnel near Qazigund, the gateway town to the Kashmir Valley, due to heavy snowfall have been evacuated by
the civil administration assisted by the Army.
The administration and troops of Two Sector Rashtriya Rifles and 36 Rashtriya Rifles evacuated the persons, who were stuck inside the 2.6-km tunnel in around 75 vehicles due to heavy snowfall in the area, official sources said today.
The sources said more than 400 persons were taken out from the tunnel and shifted to the safety of Qazigund town in Anantnag district, 75 kms from here.
The 294-km Jammu-Srinagar National Highway, connecting the Valley to the rest of the country, was closed yesterday after snowfall in Qazigund and Jawahar Tunnel area.
The other vehicles stranded on either side of the tunnel at Banihal and Lower Munda were also evacuated, the sources said.
The evacuation operation was started yesterday afternoon but was suspended due to continuous snowfall in the area, the sources said, adding the operation resumed in the
evening and was completed at around 11 pm last night.
Two persons stuck in the tunnel were suffering from Hypothermia, a condition in which the body`s core temperature drops below that required for normal metabolism and body
functions, and had to be admitted to the Emergency Hospital at Qazigund, the sources said.
They said condition of 20-year-old Mohammad Iqbal and 31-year-old Bashir Ahmad was improving.
"Had it not been for the prompt support of Army and local administration, we would have got stranded and surrendered ourselves to fate," said RK Sharma, a tourist who
was stuck with his family.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM