Over 4,000 killed in road accidents in last 4 years in J&K
Jammu: Over 4,000 people lost their lives in as many as 25,495 road accidents in different parts of Jammu and Kashmir in the past four years, Chief Minister Omar Abdullah told the state Assembly on Friday.
In a written reply to a question by CPI(M) member M Y Tarigami, Abdullah said around 36,960 people sustained injuries in these accidents.
The maximum number of 2401 mishaps were reported from erstwhile Doda district in which 823 persons lost their lives, he said, adding that cases into these matters are being investigated at different police stations, he said.
On compensation to affected families, Omar said as per the details provided by the transport department, a total of Rs 107.60 lakh has been disbursed among the families, of which Rs 64.25 lakh have been given to families in erstwhile Doda district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands