Over 4,000 militants surrendered in J&K since 1990: Omar
Jammu: In the past two decades 4,081 militants have surrendered in Jammu and Kashmir, Chief Minister Omar Abdullah told the state Assembly on Tuesday.
"Since 1990 upto February 28, 2013, 4081 terrorists have surrendered in the state of Jammu and Kashmir", the CM said in a written reply to the question of PDP member Nizam-ud-din Bhat in the Assembly.
As many as 210 terrorists have been provided monetary incentives admissible under surrender policy in the form of cash and stipend, he added.
Out of these, 200 have been accorded benefit under the new surrender policy of 2004, Omar said, while the remaining ten surrendered militants have been benefited under surrender policy of 1997.
Moreover, 27 surrendered militants have been brought under security cover in the state, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Government auditor suspects companies rigged 1st e-auction of coal blocks in 2015
- FBI probes Democratic email hack, but is Russia to blame?
- Florida shooting: Three taken into custody, more suspects sought
- Dope test scandal: After wrestler Narsingh Yadav, shot putter Inderjeet Singh tests positive for banned substance
- Historic solar flight marks first round-the-world journey