Over 50 arrested for stone-pelting after Afzal`s hanging
Srinagar: Over 50 youths have been arrested for allegedly being involved in stone-pelting during protests that rocked parts of the Kashmir Valley following execution of Parliament attack convict Mohammad Afzal Guru.
"Police have arrested 53 persons from different districts of the Valley on the charges of stone-pelting and creating trouble after Guru`s hanging," a police spokesman said.
Protests were held at many places across Kashmir even after authorities imposed curfew in the Valley after Guru was hanged in Tihar Jail in Delhi on February 9.
Of the 53 youths nabbed during protests, 13 were arrested from Srinagar, six from Budgam in central Kashmir while 23 held from north Kashmir, which includes eight from Baramulla and 15 from Sopore, he said.
In south Kashmir`s Anantnag district, police arrested eight youths while three nabbed from Pulwama, he added.
Meanwhile, police refuted the reports of a police post being torched by protestors in north Kashmir`s Bandipora district.
"The reports about torching of a police post in Paribal Aaloosa area of Bandipora are factually incorrect. Some miscreants had attacked the post, but police exercised maximum restraint and repulsed them. There was however, some minor damage to the post," the spokesman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video