Over 59,000 KPs living outside Kashmir: Govt
New Delhi: Over 59,000 families of Kashmiri pandits are living outside Kashmir Valley, the government said on Wednesday.
"As many as 808 families are residing in Kashmir and 59,442 registered migrant families continue to reside outside the Valley," Minister of State for Home Affairs Jitendra Singh told Rajya Sabha in a written reply.
He also said 170 temples were damaged in Kashmir after migration of Kashmiri pandits.
Of the total of 430 temples which existed before migration, 260 of them are intact, 170 were damaged and 90 others renovated, Singh said when an MP sought details of Hindu temples in Kashmir.
"In order to mitigate the hardships faced by the Kashmiri migrants, a cash relief of Rs 1,250 per person per month subject to maximum of Rs 5,000 per family per month is being provided to eligible families in Jammu and Delhi," he said.
The minister said return of the migrants to the Valley is voluntary and no roadmap is possible.
To facilitate their return, a Rs 1618.40-crore package has been announced by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh which provides for assistance for repair or renovation of damaged houses, transit, accommodation, government jobs and financial assistance for self employment among others, Singh said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!