Over 600 Amarnath pilgrims court arrest
Jammu: At least 600 Amarnath-bound pilgrims, led by Vishva Hindu Parishad workers, on Sunday courted arrest after they were prevented from proceeding towards the hill shrine by the state administration.
Date of the yatra was fixed June 25 by the Shri Amarnath Shrine Board (SASB), however, the pilgrims tried to start the yatra from today defying the prohibitory orders clamped to deter them.
Around six hundred pilgrims from different parts of the country, including the members of VHP and few saints, assembled at Parade area of the city early this morning to leave for the cave shrine of Amarnath in South Kashmir, police said.
Police took them to the Yatra Nivas in Bhagwati Nagar here after a couple of hours-long protest, officials said.
The protesters were released in the evening, they added.
Among the arrested were, VHP state president, Ramakant Dubey, BJP state secretary Sat Sharma besides Bhartya Janta Yuva Morcha president Manish Sharma.
The devotees urged the government to extend the duration of the yatra to two months starting from Jayeshth Purnima, tomorrow.
They accused the government and the Board of "deliberately" trying to curtail the period of the pilgrimage.
VHP national spokesperson Surinder Jain demanded Governor`s resignation following today`s incident, saying "being the chairman of the Board it was his responsibility to start the yatra from Jayeshth Purnima, which he has failed to do."
He said that their "campaign will continue till it reaches its logical conclusion."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday