Over 65 lakh voters to get ID cards in J&K
Srinagar: In the run-up to the Panchayat elections scheduled to be held in December this year, Electoral Photo-Identity Cards (EPIC) have been issued to nearly 63 percent of over 65 lakh eligible voters in Jammu and Kashmir so far, official sources said here on Sunday.
Nearly 41 lakh registered voters out of the total 65.31 lakh have been issued EPICs so far, the sources said.
"Efforts are on to issue the EPICs to as many voters as possible before the Panchayat elections and Municipal polls are held in the state," they said.
State Panchayati Raj Minister Ali Mohammad Sagar has said that elections to the Panchayats will be held in the month of December this year.
The state has been losing more than Rs 250 crores annually in Central assistance as Panchayat elections in Jammu and Kashmir have not been held since 2001.
Kargil and Leh districts have made the best progress in the state in issuing the EPICs with 79 percent and 76 percent of the electorate getting photo-identity proofs respectively in the twin districts of Ladakh region.
Three out of four voters in Ganderbal district in Central Kashmir have also got EPICs while Kishtwar district in Jammu region has issued these cards to 71 percent of the
The urban apathy towards elections is evident as in Srinagar, only 54 percent electorate have got the EPICs while in Jammu, the figure is slightly better at 55 percent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- IIFA 2016 Fashion Trends: Top 6 looks that nailed it at the green carpet! - View pics
- WATCH: OH MY WORD! Did Xherdan Shaqiri score greatest ever Euro goal?
- Lachipora encounter: Security forces shot dead 2 militants; gunbattle underway
- IIFA 2016: Ranveer Singh gets his fanboy moment with Fawad Khan!
- Accused of 'intimidation', Delhi Deputy CM Sisodia to stage protest march to PM Modi's residence