Over 70% voter turnout in 13th phase of J&K panchayat polls
Srinagar: Polling for the 13th phase of
panchayat elections in nine blocks of Jammu and Kashmir ended
on Thursday with 73.18 per cent voters casting their ballot, an
official spokesman said.
Today`s elections were held for the post of 240 sarpanchs
and 1709 panchs in the nine blocks across the state.
In north Kashmir`s Sopore the poll percentage was 54.17
per cent for 22 sarpanch and 167 panch constituencies while
50.87 per cent polling was registered in Tral in south Kashmir
for 60 sarpanch and 403 panch constituencies, he said.
He said 52.97 per cent voting was recorded in Leh in
63.55 per cent voting was registered in Chuchot block, 66
per cent in Kahru, 81.84 per cent in Bhagwah, 82.47 per cent
in Gundana, 85.13 per cent in Dansal and 80.50 per cent in
The first leg of the 16-phase polls was held in eight
blocks of the state on April 13. The elections for the last
three phases will be held on June 6, June 11 and June 16.
Panchayat elections are being held in the state after a
gap of 10 years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves