Over 70% voter turnout in 13th phase of J&K panchayat polls
Srinagar: Polling for the 13th phase of
panchayat elections in nine blocks of Jammu and Kashmir ended
on Thursday with 73.18 per cent voters casting their ballot, an
official spokesman said.
Today`s elections were held for the post of 240 sarpanchs
and 1709 panchs in the nine blocks across the state.
In north Kashmir`s Sopore the poll percentage was 54.17
per cent for 22 sarpanch and 167 panch constituencies while
50.87 per cent polling was registered in Tral in south Kashmir
for 60 sarpanch and 403 panch constituencies, he said.
He said 52.97 per cent voting was recorded in Leh in
63.55 per cent voting was registered in Chuchot block, 66
per cent in Kahru, 81.84 per cent in Bhagwah, 82.47 per cent
in Gundana, 85.13 per cent in Dansal and 80.50 per cent in
The first leg of the 16-phase polls was held in eight
blocks of the state on April 13. The elections for the last
three phases will be held on June 6, June 11 and June 16.
Panchayat elections are being held in the state after a
gap of 10 years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Digangana Suryavanshi chops off her mane on Salman Khan's advice—See pics!