Package meant to provide relief to J&K Govt: Moderate Hurriyat
Srinagar: Responding to Centre`s latest
initiative on Kashmir, the moderate Hurriyat Conference today
said it was an attempt to provide relief to embattled Omar
Abdullah government and reflected lack of willingness to meet
political aspirations of people of the state.
"The measures announced (by the Centre) do not convey
much promise. These are administrative in nature to provide
relief to the beleaguered state government," said a spokesman
of the amalgam headed by Mirwaiz Umer Farooq.
The package aimed at deliberately shifting focus from
the actual issue of providing compensation and concessions to
the people, he said.
Despite an all-party delegation assessing seriousness
of the situation during its recent visit to Kashmir, the
8-point formula "reflects a lack of willingness to understand
and address the basic issue. This is disappointing", the
The hardline faction of the Hurriyat, headed by Syed
Ali Shah Geelani, had already rejected the package describing
it as a "mere eye-wash".
The moderate Hurriyat framed its response after
Mirwaiz, who is under house arrest, held a tele-conference
with Executive members.
The amalgam could not hold meetings of its Executive
Council and the General Council as decided earlier due to the
house arrest of Mirwaiz and a strict curfew in the city, the
The Union government unveiled a package of measures on
Saturday to de-escalate the tense situation in Valley.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says