Pahalgam returns to normalcy after shutdown Srinagar
Srinagar: Normal activities resumed in Pahalgam tourist resort, which serves as base camp for the annual Amarnath yatra, after a CRPF contingent accused of thrashing taxi drivers at Chandanwari was removed from the area.
"The contingent of CRPF posted there (Chandanwari) was removed with immediate effect and the business resumed as usual at the site," an official spokesman said.
He said the decision was taken at a meeting chaired by Deputy Commissioner, Anantnag, Farooq Ahmad Shah. Besides, SSP, Anantnag R K Jalla, all the stakeholders including the taxi drivers were present in the meeting, the spokesman said.
Pahalgam resort had observed a shutdown over the alleged high handedness of CRPF personnel who went on a rampage following an altercation with taxi drivers at Chandanwari camp yesterday.
All business establishments in Pahalgam downed their shutters as soon as the word of CRPF personnel thrashing the drivers reached there.
The altercation broke out between CRPF personnel and taxi drivers at Chandanwari, 10 kilometres from Pahalgam base camp, over repeated security frisking of the vehicles carrying Amarnath yatris.
The CRPF jawans thrashed one driver, which was resented by other drivers, leading to clashes.
The drivers started pelting stones at the CRPF personnel, who allegedly went on a rampage by smashing window panes of 15 vehicles, including that of the SHO, Pahalgam police station.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report