Pahalgam returns to normalcy after shutdown Srinagar
Srinagar: Normal activities resumed in Pahalgam tourist resort, which serves as base camp for the annual Amarnath yatra, after a CRPF contingent accused of thrashing taxi drivers at Chandanwari was removed from the area.
"The contingent of CRPF posted there (Chandanwari) was removed with immediate effect and the business resumed as usual at the site," an official spokesman said.
He said the decision was taken at a meeting chaired by Deputy Commissioner, Anantnag, Farooq Ahmad Shah. Besides, SSP, Anantnag R K Jalla, all the stakeholders including the taxi drivers were present in the meeting, the spokesman said.
Pahalgam resort had observed a shutdown over the alleged high handedness of CRPF personnel who went on a rampage following an altercation with taxi drivers at Chandanwari camp yesterday.
All business establishments in Pahalgam downed their shutters as soon as the word of CRPF personnel thrashing the drivers reached there.
The altercation broke out between CRPF personnel and taxi drivers at Chandanwari, 10 kilometres from Pahalgam base camp, over repeated security frisking of the vehicles carrying Amarnath yatris.
The CRPF jawans thrashed one driver, which was resented by other drivers, leading to clashes.
The drivers started pelting stones at the CRPF personnel, who allegedly went on a rampage by smashing window panes of 15 vehicles, including that of the SHO, Pahalgam police station.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Baby girl still in hospital after 76 days, mother denies relationship with baby
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- When Indrani Mukerjea broke down on meeting her daughter Vidhie