‘Pak not allowing passenger flights from Srinagar’
Srinagar: Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Tuesday said it was strange that Pakistan was allowing passenger flights over its air space from all Indian states except Jammu and Kashmir but expressed hope that improvement in relations between the two countries would remove this bottleneck.
"This is strange that our neighbour is allowing flights from any state of India over its air space except Jammu and Kashmir.
"We hope better relations between the two countries will help remove this bottleneck so that the people in J and K get benefited equally," Omar said during an interaction with civil society here.
He expressed hope that friendship ties between India and Pakistan would be further strengthened.
However, denial by Pakistan to allow flights from Srinagar over its air space to other countries had put big a question mark in this regard, Omar said.
The Chief Minister said during his recent meetings with the Prime Minister and the Home Minister, he underlined the need of reducing security checks at Srinagar airport which were imposed at the time when militancy was in peak.
“Situation is now reverse demanding a re-look at the aspect to make travel of the people of the state and visitors hassle-free," he said.
Omar said cumbersome searches and burdensome security frisks needed to be eased in the changed circumstances.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand