‘Pak not allowing passenger flights from Srinagar’
Srinagar: Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Tuesday said it was strange that Pakistan was allowing passenger flights over its air space from all Indian states except Jammu and Kashmir but expressed hope that improvement in relations between the two countries would remove this bottleneck.
"This is strange that our neighbour is allowing flights from any state of India over its air space except Jammu and Kashmir.
"We hope better relations between the two countries will help remove this bottleneck so that the people in J and K get benefited equally," Omar said during an interaction with civil society here.
He expressed hope that friendship ties between India and Pakistan would be further strengthened.
However, denial by Pakistan to allow flights from Srinagar over its air space to other countries had put big a question mark in this regard, Omar said.
The Chief Minister said during his recent meetings with the Prime Minister and the Home Minister, he underlined the need of reducing security checks at Srinagar airport which were imposed at the time when militancy was in peak.
“Situation is now reverse demanding a re-look at the aspect to make travel of the people of the state and visitors hassle-free," he said.
Omar said cumbersome searches and burdensome security frisks needed to be eased in the changed circumstances.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez