Pak troops breach ceasefire thrice in Poonch, Rajouri sectors
Jammu: Pakistani troops violated the ceasefire thrice on Saturday along the Line of Control (LoC) when they opened indiscriminate firing in Poonch and Rajouri sectors, leaving a child injured.
Firing and mortar shelling was continuing till late in the night in Balakote in Poonch and Rajouri sectors, defence spokesperson and police said.
The first incident occurred at around 7 AM Today when Pakistani troops fired at forward posts in Poonch sector.
The firing was carried out with small and automatic weapons, defence spokesperson Col RK Palta said, adding, no casualty was reported.
Indian troops guarding the border line retaliated strongly, triggering exchanges which continued till 0740 hrs, he said.
In the second breach, Pakistani troops opened fire on Indian posts along the LoC in Balakote, the spokesman said.
"There was firing from Pakistani troops with small and automatic weapons at forward posts along LoC at around 8.10 P.M.," he said, adding the Indian side retaliated effectively.
Late in the night, Pakistani troops fired mortar shells at the Indian post in Tarkundi area in Rajouri sector, SSP Rajouri, Mubassir Latiffe said, adding a child, Mohd Khalil, was injured in the incident at Chiti Dakri area.
Pakistani troops have been daily resorting to ceasefire violations since August 6 when its special forces killed five Indian soldiers in Poonch.
There have been over 80 ceasefire violations by Pakistani troops this year from January 1.
Defence Minister AK Antony had recently stated that the Army has been given a free hand to retaliate to deal with violations on the LoC.
Army Chief Gen Bikram Singh has also asked his commanders to be aggressive in case of ceasefire violations by Pakistan Army.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?