Pakistan agrees to return Indian prisoner’s body
Akhnoor (Jammu and Kashmir): A month after a 40-year-old Indian prisoner, Chamel Singh, was beaten to death in a jail, Pakistan finally responded to his family’s pleas of returning his body for last rites.
Bereaved members of the victim’s family residing in here in Jammu and Kashmir disclosed this on Saturday.
They mentioned a formal letter from the Indian High Commission informing them about the death of Chamel Singh and also the proposal to hand over his body to the next of kin has been received.
“We have now received a letter from Pakistan informing about the death of my father. They have agreed to return the body, now we are waiting for them do so. We are trying to expedite the process,” said Deepak Singh, the son of the late prisoner Chamel Singh.
Chamel Singh was, reportedly, thrashed to death by the wardens of the Pakistan prison, where he was serving a five-year imprisonment for illegally crossing the border in 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29