Pakistan handling of LoC-truckers issue unfortunate: Omar Abdullah
Jammu: Asserting that a criminal is a criminal regardless of a country, Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Saturday said that the way in which Pakistan handled the the issue of the arrest of their driver after recovery of drugs from his vehicle, was unfortunate.
"I think the way in which Pakistan is handling it, is unfortunate. A criminal is a criminal regardless of a country. Whether we like it or not, they do not have a diplomatic immunity," Omar told reporters here today.
PoK authorities had suspended both trade and travel on Srinagar-Muzaffarabad route on January 17 after the arrest of the Pakistani driver by Indian authorities following the seizure of brown sugar worth Rs 100 crore at the Salamabad trade facilitation centre in Baramulla district of Kashmir.
PoK officials refused to take back 48 other drivers and vehicles from that side, and also detained 27 Indian drivers and their vehicles, demanding the release of the arrested driver.
Omar, who was replying to queries on the impasse over cross-LoC trade, said, "We have arrested a smuggler of drugs. Now, to hold our truck drivers hostage because we have arrested a drug smuggler is extremely unfortunate."
"We have allowed Pakistani truck drivers to leave, but they choose not to leave. That is no reason why our truck drivers should be held hostage," Omar said, adding, "This matter is unfortunately now out of the state government`s hand."
"Now Ministry of External Affairs and Commerce are involved. We hope that the governments of India and Pakistan will arrive at an amicable settlement so that our drivers come back. That having been said, drug smugglers cannot be spared. They have to be punished as per law of the land," the Chief Minister said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?