Pakistan targets Indian forward posts, two wounded
Jammu: A Border Security Force jawan and a civilian were injured when Pakistani troops, violating the ceasefire, opened unprovoked and heavy firing on Indian posts along the LoC in Jammu and Kashmir`s Poonch sector, police and BSF officials said on Tuesday.
Indian soldiers replied effectively, they said adding a BSF constable and a civilian were wounded in the firing from across the border last night and this afternoon.
Using heavy machine guns, Pakistani troops targeted three Indian posts in Mendhar sub-sector at around 2330 hours last night injuring BSF constable Mohammad Abu Siddiqi.
They also fired rocket projectile grenades, the BSF officials said.
The injured jawan was hospitalised, they said adding the splinters embedded in his body had been removed and he was out of danger.
Indian border guards gave a befitting reply firing 98 rounds of medium machine guns and 34 grenades, triggering exchanges which continued for a few hours.
Pakistani troops also fired on Indian forward posts in other belt of Mendhar at around 2125 hours last night, Defence spokesman SN Acharya said adding India gave a calibrated reply.
The firing and mortar shelling continued till 2 pm today.
Forty-year-old Taj Mohammad, a civilian, was injured in the Pakistani firing at Dera Basi in Mendhar this afternoon and was admitted to a hospital, police said.
On September 16, Pakistani troops violated the ceasefire twice in Mandi and Garhi sectors in Poonch district.
There has been over 90 ceasefire violations by Pakistan since January one this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter