Pakistan targets Indian forward posts, two wounded

Last Updated: Tuesday, September 17, 2013 - 20:27

Jammu: A Border Security Force jawan and a civilian were injured when Pakistani troops, violating the ceasefire, opened unprovoked and heavy firing on Indian posts along the LoC in Jammu and Kashmir`s Poonch sector, police and BSF officials said on Tuesday.

Indian soldiers replied effectively, they said adding a BSF constable and a civilian were wounded in the firing from across the border last night and this afternoon.

Using heavy machine guns, Pakistani troops targeted three Indian posts in Mendhar sub-sector at around 2330 hours last night injuring BSF constable Mohammad Abu Siddiqi.

They also fired rocket projectile grenades, the BSF officials said.
The injured jawan was hospitalised, they said adding the splinters embedded in his body had been removed and he was out of danger.

Indian border guards gave a befitting reply firing 98 rounds of medium machine guns and 34 grenades, triggering exchanges which continued for a few hours.

Pakistani troops also fired on Indian forward posts in other belt of Mendhar at around 2125 hours last night, Defence spokesman SN Acharya said adding India gave a calibrated reply.

The firing and mortar shelling continued till 2 pm today.

Forty-year-old Taj Mohammad, a civilian, was injured in the Pakistani firing at Dera Basi in Mendhar this afternoon and was admitted to a hospital, police said.

On September 16, Pakistani troops violated the ceasefire twice in Mandi and Garhi sectors in Poonch district.

There has been over 90 ceasefire violations by Pakistan since January one this year.

PTI



First Published: Tuesday, September 17, 2013 - 20:27

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus