Pakistan tour a success, says Mirwaiz Umar Farooq
Srinagar: Moderate Hurriyat chairman Mirwaiz Umar Farooq on Saturday termed his Pakistan visit as successful and said his amalgam was not against the confidence building measures between India and Pakistan but "no headway can be made without addressing the Kashmir issue."
"The tour of Pakistan was very successful," the cleric told reporters after a meeting of all the units of the conglomerate here.
The meeting was called to brief the general council and working committee about the Pakistan tour and the engagements of the executive committee in that country.
"The Kashmir issue needs to be seen in light of the reality," he said.
Mirwaiz said while Hurriyat was not against the confidence building measures between India and Pakistan on Sir Creek, Siachen Glacier and water issues, no headway can be made without addressing the Kashmir issue.
He said the international community should look at the Kashmir issue from the perspective of stability and peace in South Asian region instead of Indo-Pakistan relations.
On the firing incident in Pulwama yesterday, in which seven persons were injured, the Hurriyat Chairman said, "the brute use of force on peaceful people negates the claims of the government about improving situation in Kashmir."
"The government should realise that it cannot suppress voice of the people by use of force," he said.
Mirwaiz-led All Parties Hurriyat Conference (APHC) was on an eight-day visit to Pakistan from December 15 to 22.
The Hurriyat leader had led the seven-member delegation of his amalgam on the invitation of Islamabad despite criticism by hardliners, who termed the visit as a "futile exercise" in view of upcoming general elections.
Yesterday, the Hurriyat leader had said: "The visit of Pakistan was not only extraordinarily important but has also created an atmosphere which has opened the window for resolution of Kashmir issue."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'