Pakistan tour a success, says Mirwaiz Umar Farooq
Srinagar: Moderate Hurriyat chairman Mirwaiz Umar Farooq on Saturday termed his Pakistan visit as successful and said his amalgam was not against the confidence building measures between India and Pakistan but "no headway can be made without addressing the Kashmir issue."
"The tour of Pakistan was very successful," the cleric told reporters after a meeting of all the units of the conglomerate here.
The meeting was called to brief the general council and working committee about the Pakistan tour and the engagements of the executive committee in that country.
"The Kashmir issue needs to be seen in light of the reality," he said.
Mirwaiz said while Hurriyat was not against the confidence building measures between India and Pakistan on Sir Creek, Siachen Glacier and water issues, no headway can be made without addressing the Kashmir issue.
He said the international community should look at the Kashmir issue from the perspective of stability and peace in South Asian region instead of Indo-Pakistan relations.
On the firing incident in Pulwama yesterday, in which seven persons were injured, the Hurriyat Chairman said, "the brute use of force on peaceful people negates the claims of the government about improving situation in Kashmir."
"The government should realise that it cannot suppress voice of the people by use of force," he said.
Mirwaiz-led All Parties Hurriyat Conference (APHC) was on an eight-day visit to Pakistan from December 15 to 22.
The Hurriyat leader had led the seven-member delegation of his amalgam on the invitation of Islamabad despite criticism by hardliners, who termed the visit as a "futile exercise" in view of upcoming general elections.
Yesterday, the Hurriyat leader had said: "The visit of Pakistan was not only extraordinarily important but has also created an atmosphere which has opened the window for resolution of Kashmir issue."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram