Pakistan violates ceasefire for fourth time in June
Jammu: As Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi are on a visit to Jammu and Kashmir, Pakistani troops on Tuesday violated ceasefire for the fourth time this month by opening firing on Indian posts along the Line of Control (LoC) in Poonch district.
"There was small arms firing on Indian posts in Durga Battalion area along LoC in Poonch brigade belt around 1515 hours today," PRO Defence, S N Acharya said.
He said Indian troops guarding the border took positions and retaliated, resulting in exchange of firing.
The firing exchanges were occurring intermittently when the reports last came in from the area, he said, adding that this was the fourth ceasefire violation this month.
There was no loss of life or injury to anyone in the firing, Acharya said.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi are on a two-day visit to the state.
Earlier this month, a Junior Commissioned Officer was killed when Pakistan opened heavy fire with automatic weapons and rockets on Indian posts along the LoC in Poonch sector.
Pakistani troops had also opened indiscriminate firing in the Poonch sector in which a civilian was injured after an infiltration bid was foiled by Indian troops. They had opened small arms firing on Indian posts in Nangi Tikri forward area along LoC in Krishnagati.
Last month, Pakistani troops had pounded Indian posts along LoC in the Poonch sector with rockets. A Brigadier and two jawans were injured when Pakistani troops opened fire on Indian positions along the LoC in Tutmari Gali sector in Jammu and Kashmir.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Seven hospitalized in California stabbing at neo-Nazi rally
- I respect martyrdom but you're trained to kill enemy, not to die - Manohar Parrikar told jawans
- Pampore attack: Did CRPF ignore specific intelligence input from Jammu and Kashmir Police?
- Euro 2016: Belgium beat Hungary 4-0 to reach quarterfinal as Yannick Carrasco scores final goal
- Singapore Airlines flight caught fire during emergency landing at Changi Airport - Details here