Pakistani LeT terrorist killed in Jammu and Kashmir
Jammu: A Pakistani operative of the Lashkar-e-Taiba terrorist outfit was Tuesday killed in a shootout with security forces in Jammu and Kashmir`s Poonch district, police said.
The terrorist, identified as Abu Umar, was gunned down in a fierce gun battle at Theru Top in the mountainous heights of Surankote, about 230 km north of Jammu, a police spokesperson said.
The official said the gunfight started in the afternoon and that the operation against the hiding terrorists was conducted with the help of the 16 Rashtriya Rifles, a counter-insurgency force of the Indian Army.
"Abu Umar was asked to surrender, but he responded by firing several rounds from AK-47 rifle. The security forces retaliated and the terrorist was killed in the hour-long encounter," he said.
"Abu Umar was a Pakistani national," the spokesman said, adding that his identity was established through a diary found on his person.
One AK-47 rifle with two magazines and two grenades were recovered from the shootout site.
Police said search was under way for another terrorist who might have escaped following the gunfight.
Meanwhile, police in Doda district apprehended two LeT terrorists from Gandoh area, about 200 km from here.
Identified as Irfan Ahmad and Nazir Ahmad, the two indulged in extortion and harassment of people in the area, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days