Pakistani onions bring down prices in Kashmir
Srinagar: Onion prices started decreasing here on Saturday because of its arrival from Pakistan.
Onions were selling at Rs 100 per kg here till Friday, but recorded a decline in prices Saturday with retail traders selling it at Rs 75 per kg.
The wholesale onion traders here are attributing the fall in prices to the arrivals from Pakistan.
"Onions have arrived here through LoC trade from Chakan Da Bagh and also from Punjab after their import from Pakistan.
"This has brought down the wholesale price of onions in Srinagar and other parts of the Valley. We sold Pakistani onions at Rs 55-60 per kg in the wholesale market today (Saturday) morning.
"Retailers are now selling the same at Rs 70-75 per kg in the markets," said Abdul Hamid, 50, a wholesale vegetable trader here.
Another wholesale trader Muzaffar Ahmad, 48, said the onions from Nasik, Maharashtra, are the most sought after here as these are of a better quality.
"Nasik onions are better than those reaching here from Pakistan," he said.
Muhammad Ashfaq, also a wholesale vegetable trader, said, "Onion prices will start coming down after Diwali as yield from other parts of the country would start reaching the markets."
"Now that the prices have started coming down, the tendency of bulk buying will also be checked," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM