`Pakistani refugees` settlement package being sent to centre`
Jammu: The Jammu and Kashmir government will send a comprehensive package to the central government for rehabilitating Pakistani refugees settled in Jammu following displacement in 1947, 1965 and 1971.
Minister of State for Revenue, Relief and Rehabilitation Ajaz Ahmad Khan told a delegation of refugees from Pakistan-administered Kashmir Saturday the state government had decided to prepare a rehabilitation package and send it to the central government for approval.
The refugee delegation demanded a one-time settlement, including reservation in government jobs, professional colleges and ownership rights on lands allotted to them by the state government.
The minister assured the delegation that the package would include all these demands.
The minister told the refugees a delegation of parliament members and legislators from Jammu, led by state Congress president Saif-ud-din Soz had met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and requested him for a financial package to help in rehabilitation of people displaced during 1947 and the 1965 and 1971 wars from the then West Pakistan.
The minister also informed the delegation that divisional commissioner, Jammu and revenue secretary have briefed members of a parliamentary standing committee who visited Jammu about the problems/demands of the displaced people.
The members were also informed a package was drafted, involving an amount of Rs.7,000 crore, the minister said.
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed?
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part II
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part III
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part IV
- Why is "Make in India" given more importance than people dying of hunger?
- VIDEO: Martin Guptill takes time off IPL; plays cricket with kids at Dharavi
- Tata group doubles published patents in 2 years to 7,000
- Watch: South Korean mom throws kids out of multi-story building on fire
- Kingfisher House auction: Lenders begin revaluation in a bid to sell it
- WATCH: From Nehra ji to Shahenshah, Sunrisers Hyderabad's India pacer has come a long way!