`Pakistani refugees` settlement package being sent to centre`
Jammu: The Jammu and Kashmir government will send a comprehensive package to the central government for rehabilitating Pakistani refugees settled in Jammu following displacement in 1947, 1965 and 1971.
Minister of State for Revenue, Relief and Rehabilitation Ajaz Ahmad Khan told a delegation of refugees from Pakistan-administered Kashmir Saturday the state government had decided to prepare a rehabilitation package and send it to the central government for approval.
The refugee delegation demanded a one-time settlement, including reservation in government jobs, professional colleges and ownership rights on lands allotted to them by the state government.
The minister assured the delegation that the package would include all these demands.
The minister told the refugees a delegation of parliament members and legislators from Jammu, led by state Congress president Saif-ud-din Soz had met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and requested him for a financial package to help in rehabilitation of people displaced during 1947 and the 1965 and 1971 wars from the then West Pakistan.
The minister also informed the delegation that divisional commissioner, Jammu and revenue secretary have briefed members of a parliamentary standing committee who visited Jammu about the problems/demands of the displaced people.
The members were also informed a package was drafted, involving an amount of Rs.7,000 crore, the minister said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- India's ceasefire violations threat to regional peace and security: Nawaz Sharif
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?