`Pakistani refugees` settlement package being sent to centre`
Jammu: The Jammu and Kashmir government will send a comprehensive package to the central government for rehabilitating Pakistani refugees settled in Jammu following displacement in 1947, 1965 and 1971.
Minister of State for Revenue, Relief and Rehabilitation Ajaz Ahmad Khan told a delegation of refugees from Pakistan-administered Kashmir Saturday the state government had decided to prepare a rehabilitation package and send it to the central government for approval.
The refugee delegation demanded a one-time settlement, including reservation in government jobs, professional colleges and ownership rights on lands allotted to them by the state government.
The minister assured the delegation that the package would include all these demands.
The minister told the refugees a delegation of parliament members and legislators from Jammu, led by state Congress president Saif-ud-din Soz had met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and requested him for a financial package to help in rehabilitation of people displaced during 1947 and the 1965 and 1971 wars from the then West Pakistan.
The minister also informed the delegation that divisional commissioner, Jammu and revenue secretary have briefed members of a parliamentary standing committee who visited Jammu about the problems/demands of the displaced people.
The members were also informed a package was drafted, involving an amount of Rs.7,000 crore, the minister said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know