Panchayat elections in J&K in December
Srinagar: Panchayat elections in Jammu
and Kashmir, which have been postponed due to various reasons
including the ongoing unrest in the Valley, would be held in
"Panchayat elections across the state would be held in
December so as to involve the people at the grass root level
in policy implementation and formulation for their
development," an official spokesman said after a meeting
chaired by Minister for Rural Development and Panchayati Raj
Ali Mohammad Sagar on Monday.
The Panchayat and local bodies` polls were earlier
scheduled to be held in spring this year.
The state has 2,700 panchayats out of which elections
were held in about 1,900 in 2001.
Sagar impressed upon the concerned officials to speed
up the preparation process so that the elections can be held
smoothly and within the shortest possible time.
He said by establishing the Panchayats, "We would be
transferring the power to the grass root level, involving the
Sagar said a three-tier set up would ensure effective
decentralisation of power.
Noting that substantial amount of funds remain
unutilised due to non-establishment of panchayats in the
state, he said, "Holding elections would help to secure
additional funds from the Centre which would go a long way in
alleviating poverty and improving the socio-economic
conditions of the people of rural areas".
The meeting was attended among others by Chief
Electoral Officer of the state BR Sharma.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Experts hail Indian Army's surgical strikes on Pakistan
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says