Panchayat members firm on ground despite threats: Omar
Jammu: Panchayat members are firm on ground to serve people in Jammu and Kashmir despite security threats, Chief Minister Omar Abdullah said on Monday.
"Despite these threats, panchayat members are firm on ground to serve people and fulfill their objective of mitigating their difficulties," he said.
The Chief Minister was addressing district-level government functionaries from Jammu division representing 14 departments from where functions and powers have been transferred to panchayat institutions.
He said panchayat members in some areas have security concerns, especially after the recent two attacks in which one got martyred and the other is fighting her injuries in SKIMS.
"The government is with you at all levels and our commitment for an empowered Panchayat Raj system is firm and final," Omar said expressing solidarity with panches and sarpanches.
20 panches and sarpanches of Sopore area in Baramulla district yesterday quit citing "threats to their lives" in the wake of fresh militant attacks on Panchayat members in the state.
The All Jammu and Kashmir Panchayat Conference (AJKPC) - an apex body of 33,000 Panchayat members - has blamed the state government for killings of its members by militants and asked the Chief Minister to quit if he failed to provide them security.
Panchayat members in Kashmir have been demanding security from the state government since last year after attacks on them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore