Panchayat members to get insurance cover, honorarium: J&K Cong
Jammu: The Jammu and Kashmir government is making efforts to provide an insurance cover and honorarium to the Panchayat members, state chief of Congress Saifuddin Soz said here on Saturday.
"The NC-Congress government will provide honorarium and insurance cover apart from other facilities to panchayat members," he told reporters after a function attended by panchayat representatives.
On the issue of honorarium, Soz said that he and Chief Minister Omar Abdullah have raised the issue before Union Minister of Rural Development and Panchayats.
"We reiterate the commitment of coalition government for empowering the Panchayats by incorporating the necessary provisions of 73rd Amendment in the state," he said.
Soz congratulated party workers for the victory of coalition candidates in the recent state legislative council polls under the panchayat quota.
Panchayat conferences will be soon held in the state, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice