Pandemonium in J&K Assembly over Guru issue
Jammu: Pandemonium broke out in the Jammu and Kashmir Assembly which was adjourned thrice on Tuesday following Opposition protests over Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde` statement that the body of Afzal Guru will not be returned to his family.
At one stage, PDP members jumped onto the reporters` tables on the floor of the House forcing the staff to leave their chairs while Independent MLA Abdul Rashid threw mikes and tried to throw chairs and tables but was prevented by the marshalls who evicted him out.
As the PDP and Independent MLAs pressed for the return of the body of Afzal to his family, there was a demand that the Assembly pass a resolution for return of the body of the Parliament attack convict. Afzal was buried in Tihar jail in Delhi after he was hanged on February 9.
Even as Shinde`s statement triggered unruly scenes, sloganeering and high-pitched verbal duel by the entire Opposition, members of BJP strongly objected to Law Minister Mir Saifullah suffixing Afzal Guru with title of `Sahib`,
Raising slogans `Bharat mata ki jai`, BJP members also stood atop tables amid shouting of slogans by members of treasury benches.
Shinde yesterday ruled out handing over Afzal`s body to his family in Kashmir, saying "the body has been buried according to the jail manual and there was no way it could be handed over."
Making a statement in the House in a bid to calm the tempers down, the Law Minister said "the issue is connected with the sentiments of the people and with this House-- this House is representing the sentiments of the people".
He further said "Chief Minister Omar Abdullah`s stand has been that mortal remains of the Afzal Guru `Sahib` should be returned back--it is also the stand of National Conference (NC)...".
A remark by an opposition member on how the Assembly felt about the body of Afzal Guru not being returned to his family was expunged by the Speaker.
As the House assembled this morning, PDP members stood up from the Opposition benches and raised slogans against the Union Home Minister, condemning his statement.
PDP member Syed Bashir and Javed Mustafa Mir said Shinde had hurt the sentiments of the House. Some members raised slogans like `Guru ki body ko wapas lao wapas lao-- resolution lao resolution lao.`
With the opposition members unrelenting, the House was adjourned on three occasions by Speaker Mubarak Gul.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read