Pandits slam community members who met Hurriyat leaders
New Delhi: Kashmiri Pandits on Sunday distanced themselves from a few members of the community who recently met Hurriyat leaders, saying their "shameful" act was in their individual capacity which no recognized organisation of the community supports.
A conference held here under the banner of Panun Kashmir condemned those who met the separatist leaders in April, terming it as a "self-seeking" act.
"All of us convey in very strong and unambiguous terms our condemnation of the act of the group of Kashmiri Hindus having met Hurriyat leaders in the Kashmir Valley recently. The group has brought shame to the entire community of Kashmiri Hindus," a resolution adopted at the meeting said.
"We, Kashmiri Pandits, disown the activities of those who met Hurriyat leaders. We want to state unambiguously that they represent only themselves or their masters at whose behest they work," it said.
The resolution said Kashmiri Hindus consider the leaders of separatist movement of Jammu and Kashmir as "extremely regressive" who seek to destroy all kinds of freedom which human kind should enjoy.
Addressing the meet, Panun Kashmir Chairman Ajay Chrungoo said the act of the few individuals amounted to betrayal of the community and needed to be condemned.
Apprehending that some force would have been behind the development, he said such people act to create divisions within the community which was forced out of the Kashmir Valley by the separatists 23 years ago.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble