Parts of Dal Lake freeze, Srinagar experiences coldest night
Srinagar: Parts of the famous Dal Lake and other water bodies froze here as the cold wave continued in Kashmir Valley where Srinagar city witnessed the coldest night of the season at minus 3.7 degrees Celsius.
Srinagar city, the summer capital of Jammu and Kashmir, witnessed the coldest night of the season as mercury dipped to minus 3.7 degrees Celsius as compared to yesterday`s minus 3.5 degrees Celsius, a MeT Department official said here.
The subzero temperature in the city for nearly a week now has resulted in partial freezing of Dal Lake and other water bodies.
Leh, in the cold desert of Ladakh, recorded a drop of over one degree in the minimum temperature from the previous night`s season`s lowest of minus 13.0 degrees Celsius to settle at a low of minus 14.2 degrees Celsius.
This was the season`s lowest temperature in Leh which continues to remain the coldest place in the state.
The night temperature in the nearby Kargil town also decreased slightly to register a low of minus 10.8 degrees Celsius as against the previous night`s minus 10.4 degrees C.
The minimum temperature in the tourist resort of Pahalgam settled at minus 6.6 degrees Celsius as against the previous night`s minus 7.2 degrees Celsius.
The famous ski-resort of Gulmarg recorded a low of minus 2.4 degrees Celsius, an increase of three degrees from the previous night`s minus 5.4 degrees Celsius.
Qazigund, the gateway town to Kashmir, recorded a minimum of minus 4.8 degrees Celsius as compared to minus 4.3 degrees Celsius the previous night.
Kupwara town in north Kashmir recorded a low of minus 4.3 degrees Celsius as against minus 5.1 degrees Celsius the previous night.
Kokernag in south Kashmir recorded a low of minus 3.6 degrees Celsius as against the previous night`s minus 3.8 degrees Celsius.
The weather in Kashmir continues to remain dry except for a light snowfall at some places in the higher reaches on Wednesday and the MeT Department has said there would not be much change in it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video