Passport issue rocks J&K Assembly
Jammu: The issue of pendency of passports due
to "failure" of the state intelligence rocked the Jammu and
Kashmir Assembly on Monday with legislators from various parties
demanding time-bound verification and issuance of the travel
Shortly after the Question Hour in the Legislative
Assembly, Mir Saifullah of NC and GA Mir of Congress and
other PDP members raised the issue of "huge pendency" of
passports to people due to "failure of the state intelligence
(CID) in giving verification reports in time-bound manner and
also denial of such reports".
"Despite being an MLA it took me eight months to get the
passport. This is the condition of an MLA, what about the
common people," Saifullah said.
The MLAs called for time-bound verification and issuance
of passports even to the kiths and kins of those involved in
Amid noisy scenes and uproar, the legislators alleged that
government was not implementing its assurances and policies
concerning the issue.
Speaker Mohammad Akbar Lone said verification was
necessary for all including MLAs but it should be in a
Minister of State for Home, Nasir Aslam Wani said, "There
is a huge increase in the number of applications for grant of
passports. Another problem is the multiple addresses in the
applications and it takes a lot of time for verification and
this has created a lot of backlog."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack