PC wants another Services match scheduled in Srinagar
Jammu: Union Home Minister P Chidambaram
today expressed his serious displeasure over the Services
cricket pulling out of a Ranji trophy match in Srinagar and
promised to see that a cricket match takes place there.
As the Services Sports Control Board decision, citing
security reasons, not not to play in Srinagar against the
Jammu and Kashmir stirred up a raging political controversy,
he said had he been aware of the move, it would not have
Appealing to everyone to put this incident behind
accepting the apology of the Services Sports Board not not
only to the people of Jammu and Kashmir but to everybody, he
said the Services has now requested that the match be
rescheduled and played in Srinagar.
"Whether that will be possible, whether the forfeiture
if final, I cannot say. But I have told the Defence Secretary
if it was not possible to play this match in Srinagar,
because it is already forfeited, the Services Board must
request the BCCI to schedule another match in Srinagar," the
Minister told reporters in Jagti, about 15 km from here.
He said any sports event scheduled for Srinagar will
take place and "I will see that a cricket match takes place in
Chidambaram said he was away in Deoband yesterday
morning and when he returned the first thing he did was to
take up the matter with the Ministry of Defence. "I expressed
my serious displeasure," he said.
The BCCI banned the Services from this year`s Ranji
trophy cricket season for skipping the match in the Bakshi
stadium in Srinagar.
The BCCI, however, said that a decision whether to
lift the ban or not would be taken by the President after
receiving and studying the apology by the Services.
The services team decision left the Union Minister and
President of Jammu and Kashmir Cricket Association Farooq
Abdullah angry and he had threatened to take up the matter
with the Prime Minister, Home Minister and the Defence
Minister. He said the Services team had negated the Government
of India`s positive assessment of state`s security situation.
Noting the sensitivity of the matter, BCCI promptly
disqualified Services from this year`s Ranji Trophy and said
further action would be decided at its next working committee
J and K earned four points from this forfeited match
and will now take on Haryana from November 10 to 13.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list