PDP accuses Omar of abandoning people living in border areas
Srinagar: Opposition People`s Democratic Party chief Mehbooba Mufti today accused the Jammu and Kashmir government of abandoning the people living along the Line of Control and border areas of the state and sought necessary steps to provide relief to them.
"The issues relating to residents of border areas need a special focus by the Centre and the state government. It seems these people have been abandoned by the administration and have been left to fend for themselves in inhospitable conditions," she said in a statement here.
Mehbooba, who visited Charunda village near the LoC in Uri sector yesterday to meet the families of three villagers killed in Pakistani shelling on October 16, said she would urge the Prime Minister to make the Border Area Development Programme more purposeful in meeting challenges of daily lives of the people.
She said people in these areas were panic-stricken and for the first time after many years there was an environment of complete insecurity.
"It is unfortunate that priorities in these areas have again shifted from peaceful existence to the demands for safe houses, bunkers and bomb shelters," Mehbooba said.
She said the population in border villages face immense problems in absence of proper health care, education and civil supplies.
"The people in these areas are completely dependent on goodwill of the army for facilities of ambulance and fuel.
"The male and female population is required to prove their identity at every point which compromised their privacy, especially the women folk," the PDP president said.
The PDP president said villages like Charunda which
fell beyond the border fencing faced more acute problems of day to day life.
"Failure of the government in upgrading the middle school in the village meant that the children had to travel miles to go to a high school through hilly tracks.
"There is a large population of disabled persons in these areas and Border Area Development Projects (BADP) should specially focus on this humanitarian issue," Mehbooba said.
She said the problem of land mines in areas where civilians go for work too needed to be reviewed.
"Many villagers have complained about the non-payment of rent by defence forces for the lands under their use," she said urging the Union government to have these cases expedited.
The PDP president demanded immediate compensation to the families of three villagers killed in the shelling.
"The government should provide adequate compensation to the families of the deceased civilians and take necessary measures for their complete rehabilitation," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015