PDP accuses Omar of levelling false allegations, seeks apology
Srinagar: Opposition Peoples Democratic Party in Jammu and Kashmir on Saturday sought an apology from Chief Minister Omar Abdullah for levelling what it alleged false allegations against the party for boycotting the Assembly Session.
"The minimum that the Chief Minister in his capacity as Leader of the House is expected to do is to offer an unconditional apology for the blatantly false accusations he has made against members of the PDP Legislature Party.
"This alone can atone for his serious violation of Parliamentary practices," PDP senior vice president Iftikhar Hussain Ansari told reporters here.
For quite some time, the PDP had been raising its voice against the systematic "denigration and devaluation" of democratic institutions in the state, he said.
When the Union Home Minister summarily dismissed the possibility of the return of Afzal Guru`s mortal remains to his family as the Assembly was discussing the matter on an adjournment motion moved by the party, the Chief Minister had failed to respond to this, Ansari said.
"The PDP could not watch this without registering a protest and protest it by boycotting rest of the session of the Legislature which is an established Parliamentary practice to highlight a certain position or stress a point," he said.
"Instead of feeling embarrassed to see vacant opposition benches, he (Omar), in fact, enjoyed the scenario which would have shamed any other democratically-elected government."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city