PDP alleges Centre`s involvement in govt formation in J&K
Srinagar: Opposition Peoples Democratic Party on Sunday said the impression that the governments in the Jammu and Kashmir are actually "made in Delhi" has been a major reason for democracy being "unable to take firm roots" in the state.
"Democracy is an idea and a way of life that has to have complete freedom from curbs and restrictions the state has witnessed for one reason or the other. As long as the impression that external elements can influence the outcome of elections lingered, efforts at changing the atmosphere of mistrust and uncertainty would fail," PDP patron Mufti Mohammad Sayeed said while addressing a public meeting at Lolab in north Kashmir`s Kupwara district.
Sayeed said the ability of the people to elect their own government and the discretion to change them is the first requirement for their empowerment.
"But unfortunately with only a few exceptions, there has been a strong element of doubt about the fairness of polls in Jammu and Kashmir," he said.
The former chief minister said while there was a huge responsibility on the central leadership in ensuring free and fair elections, the people of the state too had to respond to this situation with courage and wisdom.
The PDP patron said as the elections draw closer the ruling National Conference (NC) has started "making noises about the state`s eroded political authority" and the "exploitation of water and power resources".
"NC was singularly responsible for the power mess in the state, for its mismanagement of available resources and primarily for selling out the projects to NHPC," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- Russia to pay bonuses to athletes barred from Rio Olympics 2016
- Scorpene data leak unintentional, navy will address all concerns: Parrikar
- Day/Night Duleep Trophy: India Red crush India Green by 219 runs
- UEFA Europa League Draw: Groups, Fixtures, Top clashes – All you need to know!
- Beware! If you are woman and using elevator alone - WATCH Video