PDP alleges Centre`s involvement in govt formation in J&K
Srinagar: Opposition Peoples Democratic Party on Sunday said the impression that the governments in the Jammu and Kashmir are actually "made in Delhi" has been a major reason for democracy being "unable to take firm roots" in the state.
"Democracy is an idea and a way of life that has to have complete freedom from curbs and restrictions the state has witnessed for one reason or the other. As long as the impression that external elements can influence the outcome of elections lingered, efforts at changing the atmosphere of mistrust and uncertainty would fail," PDP patron Mufti Mohammad Sayeed said while addressing a public meeting at Lolab in north Kashmir`s Kupwara district.
Sayeed said the ability of the people to elect their own government and the discretion to change them is the first requirement for their empowerment.
"But unfortunately with only a few exceptions, there has been a strong element of doubt about the fairness of polls in Jammu and Kashmir," he said.
The former chief minister said while there was a huge responsibility on the central leadership in ensuring free and fair elections, the people of the state too had to respond to this situation with courage and wisdom.
The PDP patron said as the elections draw closer the ruling National Conference (NC) has started "making noises about the state`s eroded political authority" and the "exploitation of water and power resources".
"NC was singularly responsible for the power mess in the state, for its mismanagement of available resources and primarily for selling out the projects to NHPC," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened