PDP alleges NC leader`s role in 2008 Amarnath agitation
Srinagar: Opposition PDP on Thursday alleged that NC leader Devender Rana had provided monetary support to Amarnath Sangarsh Samiti, which had spearheaded an agitation in favour of land transfer to Shri Amarnath Shrine Board that had led to the 2008 Amarnath land row agitation.
"Rana not only provided monetary support to the communal Amarnath Sangharsh Samiti, which spearheaded the agitation in Jammu that ensured the worst economic blockade to Kashmir, but even used his Take One (TV) channel to spread hatred between communities," PDP national spokesperson Sameer Kaul said in a statement here.
Kaul alleged that Rana, who was advisor to Chief Minister Omar Abdullah till January this year, and his family members had a direct role in the "unfortunate" polarisation of 2008.
He called for independent investigation into the activities of his TV channel during that period.
"There had been inquiries into the role of the Rana family whose one member was a spokesman of the Amarnath Samiti during his tenure in government service."
"The role of Take One channel had also been questioned but Rana used his strong family connections in the then Governor`s administration to scuttle both probes," Kaul claimed.
"He (Rana) is even believed to have been helped in averting a probe by some of his influential friends who are now spending time in jail in serious criminal cases," he said.
Rana had alleged on June 05 that PDP and BJP had hatched a conspiracy in 2008 to "trifurcate Jammu and Kashmir", to destroy the secular fabric of the state and also to pull down the then Congress-led coalition government.
Kaul claimed that the monopoly on the new cabling system had been secured through foul methods which had been opposed by cable operators but "Rana`s influence is reported to be working against everyone else in the business to let his channel make fortunes".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday